Thursday, November 24, 2011

Review: Dark Seeker by Taryn Browning


Dark Seeker by Taryn Browning
Release Date: September 27th 2011
Edition: Ebook 298 Pages
Goodreads | Book Depository | Amazon

My Rating 4/5 Stars

"For 17-year-old Seeker, Janie Grey, ridding the Baltimore streets of the undead is an inherited duty passed down from her Cherokee ancestors. 


Training Lesson #1: Never trust the undead.


After her father’s tragic death, Janie creates her own life lesson: Love isn’t worth the risk. Both lessons are easy to follow until she encounters the flawed Kai Sterdam. At first, she believes he is the hybrid she is trained to hunt. But, when he has human traits, she determines she doesn’t know what he is. As Janie’s intrigue over who Kai is pushes her deeper into his mysterious past, she discovers a shocking truth that is even more harrowing than the evil they are up against. It’s a secret Kai wants to keep hidden, especially from Janie."


First off, thanks to Taryn Browning for providing me with an ecopy for review! As always this does NOT alter my review in anyway, all thoughts expressed are my own. 


Now lets get down to the review!! I sat down to start this book and finished it in one sitting! This is the first in the new Dark Seeker series and it did not disappoint! 


This story follows the life of Janie, a high school student and a Seeker. A Seeker, someone who is raised and trained to rid the streets of the undead. She spends her days being an ordinary teenager, going to school and her nights fighting and killing the undead. I liked how kick-ass Janie was, she knew what she had to do and she knew that if she didn't innocent people would die. She has promised herself she will never fall in love. Following the tragic death of her dad, she learnt that it is better not to get too close. She does have friends at school but she is by no means popular, constantley getting picked on by popular girl Molly. Little does Molly know that Janie could kick her ass into next year!

One night Janie is over her head with the undead, they are getting closer and closer to her school and she doesn't know why. She was unprepared for a big fight that night. Just when she thinks things couldn't get any worse. Someone pulls her aside and finishes off the undead for her. Facing her saviour she realises that he is undead himself! So why did he save her life? 

His name is Kai and oh gosh he's a bit dreamy! He's one of the undead that she usually fights and kills. So what stopped her from following through the threat? He has human features, very unusual for his kind. He has green eyes and doesn't smell... well.. horrible. Kai is even tougher than Janie and on meeting her for the first time, (when Janie tries to kill him) he is drawn to her. He becomes very protective of her, even though he knows that for the most part, she can look after her self. Kai saves Janie's life on more than one occasion, completely going against everything she has learnt as a seeker.

Janie and Kai are falling for each other but their love is somewhat forbidden. In more ways than one their relationship is truly complicated. But your not going to get anymore spoilers from me regarding that!

Taryn Browning has done an excellent job on this book. Her writing kept me interested and also kept me guessing. I knew something was up with her Uncle but I did NOT see that twist coming at all! I like to be surprised by books and Taryn  Browning achieved this in Dark Seeker. The book was fast passed, action packed and easy to read, three things I love in a book.

If you haven't already I suggest you check this one out! I look forward to reading the second one in this series to see what gets thrown at Janie next!

Happy reading!
- Amy


PS. Sorry about the biggish gaps between paragraphs guys, usually I can fix it but it doesn't seem to be working...

1 comment:

  1. Ooh I'm on the tour for this in a couple of week so I plant o read it very soon. I'm glad you enjoyed it I had no idea what to expect having only read 1 other review. I rarely get surprised with twists anymore so I can't wait to see if these ones do!

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile :) so leave me some love <3

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...